14,009 new electric cars registered in Norway over June

New electric car registrations in Norway almost doubled in June compared to May. In June, over 14,000 new electric cars hit the roads of the Scandinavian eMobility flagship country. An old acquaintance is at the top of the model statistics at the end of the quarter.

Image: Tesla

14,009 electric cars were registered for the first time in Norway in June, according to the Norwegian Public Roads Administration (OFV). This is 6,116 more electric cars than in the relatively weak May, and compared to June 2023 with 12,801 new electric cars at that time, June 2024 represents an increase of 1,208 units – or an increase of 9.4 per cent. The BEV share of all new registrations rose again to 80.0 per cent after falling to 77.0 per cent in May. However, the 89.4 per cent recorded in April 2024 was not reached.

In Norway, however, not only new e-car registrations but also the overall market recovered from the May low – the figures from the previous month were not a weakness in e-mobility, but with 10,253 new registrations at that time, very few cars were registered overall. In June, the situation was different again: with 17,512 new cars across all drive types, June 2024 was 12.5 per cent up on the same month last year.

In addition to the 14,009 pure electric cars – as usual, the OFV only lists “zero-emission vehicles” and does not differentiate between battery electric cars and fuel cell cars – there were also 931 new plug-in hybrids in June. This means that June was well above the monthly average for the year to date (234 PHEVs). However, the stronger June for PHEVs could not compensate for the year-to-date drop of over 55 per cent below the level of the first half of 2023.

PHEVs achieved a market share of 5.3 per cent in June. Together with the 80 per cent share of BEVs, 85.3 per cent of all new cars in Norway had a charging connection.

A brief look at the other drive types: “non-rechargeable” hybrids, as the OFV summarises mild and full hybrids, on the other hand, accounted for 2,050 new registrations or an increase of 149.1 per cent compared to June 2023. Hybrids (excluding PHEVs) had a market share of 11.7 per cent. Pure petrol (1.0 per cent) and diesel (2.0 per cent) are now more of a niche with new registrations in the low three-digit range in Norway.

Looking at the models, purely electric vehicles dominate – unsurprisingly. After the Volvo EX30 led the monthly statistics for two consecutive months, the Tesla Model Y regained the top spot in June. Since the European markets have been supplied from Giga Berlin, Tesla’s usual delivery spurts at the end of the quarter have slowed down – but Tesla is still trying to push deliveries in the last month of a quarter, as the 2,324 new Model Ys in Norway show.

The Tesla Model 3, which continues to be imported from Giga Shanghai, comes in second place with 1,334 new vehicles. In third place comes the Toyota Yaris (1,290 new registrations), the model responsible for the majority of hybrid registrations. It is followed by the MG4 (1,171), the next purely electric car, ahead of the Volvo EX30, which also achieved a four-digit figure with 1,080 new registrations. It is striking that three of the five best-selling models are built in China. As a non-EU country, Norway is not affected by the impending special tariffs. It remains to be seen whether electric cars from Chinese production will be redirected to Norway rather than other European nations in the future.

A brief look at the other models: although the VW ID.4 has managed to hold onto third place this year, 834 new registrations in the June statistics are only enough for sixth place, followed by models such as the Toyota bZ4X (765), Toyota RAV4 (573) as another non-electric model ahead of the Audi Q4 e-tron (543), MG Marvel R (527), MG ZS EV (455) and Hyundai Kona (452).

ofv.noofv.no (model numbers, both in Norwegian)


about „14,009 new electric cars registered in Norway over June“

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *